Thursday, March 26, 2009

Where You at?

I am reading the book of Psalms each morning before I start my day. David was someone I can relate to in so many ways. Despite his problem with women, David was a good leader. Even though he had all the power and prominence, he never forgot where it came from…God. He knew that he had been chosen by God to be Israel’s king and he knew that he had God’s favor. He worshipped God like no other. He played his instruments while he sang and danced in the streets. He didn’t care who was watching or what they thought of him. He loved God and he wanted God to know that. But a side we see of David when we read the Psalms is different. It seems that many times, over and over again, David cries out to God for help. Sometimes he talks as if God has no idea of what is going on, that God has turned away from him. It’s no secret David had enemies. Even his own son tried to deceive the people and overtake the throne. Many people wanted David dead. They feared him. And when they came against David he would cry out to God for help. But sometimes God wouldn’t answer right away. Sometimes He didn’t answer the way David wanted Him to. Like the time when David and Bathsheeba committed adultery and she became pregnant. David fasted for days for the baby to live but God allowed the child to die. We may not be people of power and great prestige, we may not be people of prominence that have enemies vowing to kill us physically, but I guarantee you that we are people that have felt like David. I feel like him right now. Besides going through my divorce, I feel like I am in the darkest part of my life. Over the years I have made some stupid decisions that at the time I thought were good ones and now I am paying the price. Like David, I have prayed for God to do something about it, to bail me out, and it seems like He is nowhere to be found. I feel like saying, “Don’t you see how we struggle? Can’t you fix this situation? I’ve been faithful, I say my prayers, I serve, and live a Christian life the best that I can…why won’t You do something about this?” in fact, I have said those things! I know the answer is “yes” that God can do something about the situation but what is really hard for me is to learn the lessons God is trying to teach me while I wait for Him to do His thing. Just like David said, “You are my rock, my fortress, my strong tower. You are my help in time of need.” David, in all of his struggles never took his eyes off God. He never, for one second, gave up on Him. And let me encourage you, friend, in all your struggles, trust God. Yes, it’s not the easiest thing to do, yes, we want to question Him and say “why?” but when it’s all said and done, and the fire has gone out, you will come out a stronger person, purified like gold and silver (Malachi 3:3) and your faith, after being tested, will be so much stronger and you will hear God whisper, “I was here all along and I with you all the way.” (Isaiah 43:1ff) I will leave you with Hebrews 13:5 Let your conduct be without covetousness; be content with such things as you have. For He Himself has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.” Randy

P.S. Just a few hours after I wrote this blog today, my phone rang. It was my real estate agent with an offer on our house in West Tennessee. Please pray for us that this all works out. We have been making two house payments for a year now and it is draining , wait...has drained us financially. God is awesome!

No comments: