Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Expiration date

As I got to work this morning I went through my normal routine like turn on my computer, check my desk for things I have to do today, etc. I brought my breakfast or lunch, depending on when I decide to eat it, with me today. I pulled the small cup of applesauce from my pocket and for some reason I read the writing on the side. It was an expiration date. Many things that we buy at the store come with an expiration date. I was a butcher for about seven years and we had to check our products on a daily basis to see if it was out of date or not. If it was out of date then it was pulled from the shelf and thrown in the garbage.

I know I think about weird stuff sometimes but the thought hit me as I was staring at my cup of applesauce…we have an expiration date! Unfortunately, it’s not stamped somewhere on our bodies so we do not know when our time will be up. What if it was? What if you knew when your expiration date was and you knew you were to be “taken from the shelf” in just a few days? Would you live your life any different? Are there some things you would change? Is there someone you would “make things right with?” Would you become more “selfless?” Would you try to make more of a difference in someone’s life or your community? Would there be some habits you would definitely break since you knew they were wrong? Or maybe you would give your life to Christ and live for Him knowing that eternity was a day or two away. Whatever you would do, why wait? Why put it off? Your shelf life could expire today or tomorrow. You may be good for several years but why take the risk? Live for Jesus and make a difference. Randy


Romans 14:10-12 But why do you judge your brother? Or why do you show contempt for your brother? For we shall all stand before the judgment seat of Christ. 11 For it is written:


“ As I live, says the LORD,


Every knee shall bow to Me,


And every tongue shall confess to God.”


12 So then each of us shall give account of himself to God.


Hebrews 9:27-28 And as it is appointed for men to die once, but after this the judgment, To those who eagerly wait for Him He will appear a second time, apart from sin, for salvation.

No comments: