Wednesday, January 23, 2008

the cross

Our mailman did something different when he ran yesterday. He actually got out of the truck and approached my front door because we had to sign for a letter. After I signed the necessary papers he started to walk off. Unknown to me was my five year old son coming from behind me. He was yelling and running toward the front door with something in his hand. He was yelling for the post man and running to catch him before he got in his truck to leave. He was on a mission! As he got the post man's attention I saw him hand something to him. Before I tell you what it was I want you to understand something about my boys. They are very artistic. They love to draw, color, and cut things out, especially paper puppets. So, my five year old son handed this total stranger this creation he had made, and did it ever teach me a lesson. My son had drew a cross, a big, thick cross and he had written things about Jesus dying on the cross. And he gave this great, powerful message to our mail man. I'm not sure if he could read what the words said because my son is just in kindergarten, but I'm definitely sure he knows what the cross is all about. And the lesson I learned, well, I learned again just how simple our responsibility is as Christian people. God doesn't want us to go out to be heroes and do all this Gladiator stuff. He simply wants us to tell His message. The message that Jesus became our sacrificial Lamb, that He was crucified on a cross, that He shed His blood for our sins to be washed away, and that He was resurrected on the third day giving us victory over death and that someday, we will be with Jesus for eternity...that is...if we have made Him our personal, Lord and Savior. If Jesus dwells in us, then He will be the Gladiator...He will be the hero. We are just vessels being used for God's purpose. Take up your cross so others can see it. Show it. Don't hide it. Luke 9:23 Then He said to them all, “If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow Me. Randy

No comments: