Friday, February 29, 2008

forgiveness

One thing that is absolutely necessary for us to do as Christians is to FORGIVE! In Matthew 6:15 Jesus says, “But if you do not forgive men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.” There is nothing grey about that verse. If we want forgiveness from God, then we must forgive others. And notice that there are no conditions in the following verses! “But you don’t understand what they did to me!” you might be saying. It doesn’t matter what they did. There are no conditions. We MUST forgive. I know from personal experience how hard it is to forgive someone especially when they are in the wrong and you have no control of what they are doing. Think about Jesus and all that He went through before He got to the cross and when He was on the cross. Look at how He was treated. We wouldn’t even do that to an animal. Whatever we face in this life couldn’t compare to what He suffered and He never did anything to deserve the treatment He received. Yet as He hang from the cross he cries out, “Father forgive…” We have no excuses.

I have to tell you about an amazing example of forgiveness that I saw Wednesday while I was at home for lunch. As I usually do I come home, fix my lunch, and turn on the TV to watch the news. Bobby Cutts, Jr.’s trial was on this particular day. He was being sentenced. As most of you know he received 57 years in prison for killing Jesse Davis, a girl who was pregnant with their second child. As normal procedure, the family of the victim got a chance to speak to this killer who took their loved one away. I believe two sisters spoke out and one claimed that she hated him and could never forgive him for what he had done to their family. Then it was the mother’s turn. She told him that she hoped that he would find God while he was in prison and she hoped that he court would have mercy on him so he could get out someday and see how she has raised his son and that he could tell him the truth someday. And what she said next just blew me away. She said that she forgave him for what he had done! Not only hat but she looked him right in the eyes! Man! Would you be able to do that? I would like to say that I could but it would be very difficult. I think my first reaction would be, “I want to get my hands on him/ her!” but the Jesus inside me demands that I forgive just as she did.

Is there anyone in your life today that you would deem an enemy? Is there someone you “just cannot stand?” If there is then you better deal with the situation now and find a way to forgive. Don’t let unforgiveness fester. It only causes bitterness and anger. Go to that person and work it out. Be Jesus.

Father, if there is someone who we need to forgive today, show us. If we have wronged someone and we know that they are bitter or angry with us and we now about it, give us the strength and courage to ask for their forgiveness. “Thank you” for forgiving us of our wrongdoings even when were enemies to You. In Jesus name I pray…Amen. Randy

No comments: