Thursday, February 21, 2008

See Jesus

This lesson at WinterFest just filleted my heart wide open! This is what I've been trying to get people to understand since I first went into the ministry. I can sum this blog up in one sentence...God does not see race, money, status quo, gender, etc. The fact of the matter is that every person ever born into society has a soul that needs salvation. No matter where they are in our "made up" categories, they have a soul that needs the blood of Jesus! If we don't share Jesus with them...who will? Are we to say, "To hell with them," just because we don't associate with their type? We, as Christians, have to get passed that attitude! As Jeff Walling said in his sermon, "We need to look beyond the outside shell and see what's on the inside." God said the same thing in 1 Samuel 16:7 when Samuel was to anoint a new king of Israel and all of Jesse's sons were to pass before him. "Oh, surely you want this one Lord." And God's reply, "But the LORD said to Samuel, “Do not look at his appearance or at his physical stature, because I have refused him. For the LORD does not see as man sees; for man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart.” As you know the story, they wait for Jesse to get David and God chooses David as king.

Only if we can truly grasp this concept! I like the two examples Walling used. He used a Goth kid and two gay men holding hands walking into our church building. More than likely, we'd have them met at the front door and never let them in. "Why, we can't have someone like this in our church! What will people think?" for those of you who have this attitude, let me give you something to think about: What does God think about YOUR attitude? It's definitely not Christ's. I hear people get up and pray in church that we want the lost to be saved. That all sounds good but many times, I'm afraid we really don't mean it because when the lost start showing up, we freak out and run them off. We hold elders meetings so we can get these people out of here. Parents and church members alike complain about how they look or they worry if these people will influence their children to "get on drugs." Give me a break...they go to school with them every day. How about this thought...why don't your kids make an influence on these kids, or adults even, for Jesus' sake!

Jesus ministered to everybody-rich, poor, male, female, Pharisee to the average Joe. He walked on Samaritan soil and ate with sinners in their homes. I challenge you to really dig deep into your soul and ask yourself, "Am I truly like Christ or do I just fit the mold of what I think a Christian is?" When is the last time you looked and somebody, judged them, and put them into a category, and never associated with them? If you were truly like Christ, you'd see that person as a soul that needs Jesus. Thank God that He is the potter and I'm the clay and that He continues to shape and mold me into His likeness. where would we be without His grace and mercy? Lord, help me, help us as your people, see as Jesus sees...Randy

Now it happened, as Jesus sat at the table in the house, that behold, many tax collectors and sinners came and sat down with Him and His disciples. 11 And when the Pharisees saw it, they said to His disciples, “Why does your Teacher eat with tax collectors and sinners?” 12 When Jesus heard that, He said to them, “Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick. 13 But go and learn what this means: ‘I desire mercy and not sacrifice.’ For I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners, to repentance.” Matthew 10-13

1 comment:

Bluecanary said...

The best illustration I know of this, and the one that really tore me a new one with how I think about people is the "Living in the Lifeboat, or How to Kill Your Neighbor." chapter in Don Miller's book "Searching for God Knows What." He really cuts through our reasons for why we treat people like we do, and how Christ looks at us.

I did this activity with my kids, and its in August, and here my response to it is in my August 2007 blog archive. There are two posts called "Living in the Lifeboat" but I suggest just getting Miller's book are reading it. I'd loan it to you, but I don't know who has my copy.