Monday, February 11, 2008

Lord, help me to understand...

It seems like every time I read scriptures lately Matthew 12 keeps coming to my mind. I remember the first time I read it, which was about five or six weeks ago, I didn’t really get anything out of it. I have read this chapter several times since with no major revelations. I had been and have been praying for God’s Will to be done, to help me listen for His voice, give me understanding, and to guide my steps so I know God is trying to teach me something. Just what that is I haven’t figured it all out but this past Friday something happened that helped in my endeavor.
I had been to a missions conference in Nashville to prepare for an upcoming trip to Mexico. On the way home we stopped at a restaurant that my wife had heard about and wanted to see—The Aquarium. So we went to the mall but instead of going to the Aquarium, we went to one called the Rain Forrest CafĂ©. My five year old was horrified because the gorillas were “staring at him” and when the thunder hit, it was all he could take! After all, we had just been through those tornadoes that hit in West Tennessee last week. So we decided to go to the Aquarium and eat. We sat in there for hours it seemed but in reality, it was about two. It was cool. They have an aquarium in the center of the restaurant that reaches from the floor to the ceiling. It was filled with sharks, sting rays, and all kinds of fish. They even had a diver who got in the tank and waved at the people! As I watched this fish tank I noticed that a school of fish was swimming around the top of the tank, all of them in one direction. In fact, all the fish were swimming in the same direction. They just swam around the perimeter of this huge tank almost like clock work. Every few seconds they’d come back around with their group. I didn’t think too much about it at this point except that it was neat how they stayed together in a big clump like they ruled the tank and dared anybody to mess with them. But then something happened in that tank and I immediately pointed it out to Kim. The Lord does work in mysterious ways and He uses many things to get our attention and to teach us lessons. The reason why it caught my attention is because this particular thing stood out like a sore thumb. There were two fish, the same kind of fish that were in the school, that were swimming in the other direction! I told my wife to look at those fish. It was so weird to me that I grabbed a napkin and a crayon (they gave these to my kids when we came in to eat and it was handy to write with) and wrote the experience down. I didn’t yet know why it struck me so, but it did. And the next morning it all came together and Matthew 12 came to life! God had used some fish to teach me some valuable lessons. I’ll share them with as the week goes on. Just remember this, if we let God speak, He will. If we will slow down and listen, we will hear Him loud and clear. Get that wax out of your ears! Randy
Matthew 11:15 (and others) He who has ears to hear, let him hear!

No comments: