Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Know Jesus

What does it mean to know Jesus? Many people say they know Jesus, including myself, but how well do we now Him? Think about this with me for a minute…many times we say we know so and so but what we really mean is we know their name and we have met them on a couple of occasions. We may know a few things about them like what kind of car they drive, how tall they are, what color hair they have, what their parents names are, etc. and we confess to really know them. But do we really? No. Let me give you an example. This weekend at WinterFest we, me, my wife and kids, met two comedians named Bean and Bailey. My sons got their autographs and my wife and I had a conversation with them. I learned that they grew up in Morristown, TN. When I was 12 years old I played against them in the Little League state tournament championship. So I told them about this experience and we talked about some of the players that I played against. I can walk away from that day and say, “I know Bradley Bean and Jackson Bailey.” But in reality, I have no idea who Bradley Bean and Jackson Bailey are! I don’t know their wives manes, what kind of car they drive, where their house is, etc. I don’t really know these guys because I don’t spend time with them. I have only met them at a youth rally. And this is the way many people are with Jesus. They have heard about Him at church, they have attended a Bible study or two, they have sung about Him or listened to a song about Him on the radio, etc. and we say, “Yes, I know Jesus.” But in reality, we don’t really know Him because we haven’t spent time with Him. We don’t worship him like we should, our Bibles are collecting dust, our prayer time is only when it benefits us or we are in trouble and we need help with a certain situation. How would my relationship with my wife be if I treated her that way or even my kids? It wouldn’t be very good. If I only used her when I needed something or I came home and never spoke with her, she’d probably disown me pretty quick. If I didn’t play with my kids or have any interaction with them, they would not be close to me and they wouldn’t have anything to do with me. It’s all about relationship…being intimate. I’ve been married for nearly 12 years to my wife and we dated for a year so I know her pretty well. I know her deepest desires, her favorite things, what she likes and dislikes. I know what makes her tick! Why? Because I spend so much time with her everyday and every night. I can truly say that I know my wife. That’s what it means to know Jesus. To spend time with Him, not just on Sunday mornings at some building, not just listening to someone else’s prayer in a group setting, not just hearing a scripture or two being read, but spending time with Him daily…quality time. Time in prayer, communicating with the Father and listening for His response, worshipping at His feet instead of microwaving your worship just to say you got it done, and reading the Bible, God’s Word, every day. When we do these things, then and only then, will we rally come to know Jesus. How well do you know Jesus? Randy
Psalm 1:1-3 Blessed is the man who walks not in the counsel of the ungodly, Nor stands in the path of sinners, Nor sits in the seat of the scornful; 2 But his delight is in the law of the LORD, And in His law he meditates day and night. 3 He shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that brings forth its fruit in its season, whose leaf also shall not wither; and whatever he does shall prosper.

No comments: