Saturday, July 26, 2008

fitting in

My six year old son asked me and his mother to watch The Incredibles move with him this morning. We have a ton of things to do today but I thought, “what the heck…they can wait,” so I popped the movie in and we watched it together. As I started watching the story line caught my attention right off the bat. These superheroes that each had their own unique trait or superpower were forced by society to “fit in”. So the movie is about this family with these unique characteristics trying to live a normal life like everybody else and the struggles the dad has with it. As I watched the movie I thought about how our society does this to us as Christians. We are unique. We have superpower inside of us—the Holy Spirit. He works through each of us in different ways. He takes our strengths and our talents which make us unique and He uses them to bring glory to God. And on a daily basis we have the outside world trying to beat us up and demand that we hide our identity, who we really are. We are like superheroes taking on the villains—Ephesians 6:12 For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places.
At the end of the movie the Incredibles are forced to come back as superheroes and society is happy to see them again because they had to defeat a evil robot that was destroying the city! The Incredibles are excited about being able to be who they really are without having to hide their identity anymore. Let me encourage you to be who you really are…a child of God filled with His Holy Spirit. Romans 8:14-16 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God. For you did not receive the spirit of bondage again to fear, but you received the Spirit of adoption by whom we cry out, “Abba, Father.” The Spirit Himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God… Do not allow society to beat you down, discourage, or keep you from being who you are...Christians, a child of God, filled with His Holy Spirit!

2 comments:

Bluecanary said...

I think The Incredibles is one of the most spiritually astute movies to come out in the last few years. I did a retreat in Cali centering around the same themes. There is so much good stuff in it about what it means to live as you were created to, and how Satan tries to thwart us.

Bluecanary said...

P.S. Glad you made it safe. Call me and give me your contact info.